[On 18 March 2013, the Canadian House of Commons gave consent to a motion on North Korea by Deepak Obhrai, Conservative MP for Calgary East (Alberta). The following is taken from a Media Release issued by Mr. Obhrai’s office. –CanKor]
Motion by Deepak Obhrai, M.P. condemning North Korean actions passes unanimously in the House of Commons
(Ottawa) Deepak Obhrai, Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Foreign Affairs, today moved a motion condemning recent actions by North Korea, in the House of Commons. The motion was unanimously passed by Members.
Mr. Obhrai moved:
That this House, reaffirming Canada’s commitment to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons:
- unequivocally condemns North Korea’s recent nuclear test in violation of its international obligations;
- expresses its grave concern regarding the widespread violations of basic rights in North Korea, including torture and other cruel, inhuman punishment, arbitrary detentions, absence of due process and the rule of law, collective punishments extending up to three generations, and the existence of political prison camps;
- expresses its grave concern regarding the Government of North Korea’s continued pursuit of its nuclear weapons program despite the humanitarian crisis in the country, including mass starvation and prolonged food deprivation;
- rejects the North Korean regime’s increasingly aggressive actions, including ballistic missile launches, and attacks against South Korea, which represent a threat to regional and international peace and security; and
- urges the regime in Pyongyang to abandon its reckless weapons program and instead focus its resources on meeting its citizens’ basic humanitarian needs, respecting its citizens’ fundamental freedoms and abiding by United Nations Security Council resolutions.
In the past, Mr. Obhrai has expressed in Parliament Canada’s concern at reports of increasingly harsh treatment towards those who fled North Korea but were repatriated, and the on-going and systematic human rights violations in North Korea.
- Canada’s FM Baird Welcomes Expanded Sanctions Against North Korea (CanKor.ca)
- Canada Unequivocally Condemns North Korean Nuclear Test (CanKor.ca)
- Canadian FM Baird Strongly Condemns Actions of North Korean Regime (CanKor.ca)