“Canada welcomes the expanded sanctions against North Korea adopted today at the United Nations Security Council and is proud to have been a co-sponsor.
“This response to North Korea’s reckless nuclear test in early February sends a clear and strong message to those responsible in Pyongyang.
“The true travesty is that the North Korean people continue to starve and are denied basic human rights while the regime in Pyongyang squanders limited resources.
“The international community had clearly warned North Korea that its belligerent actions would bear consequences.
“It is high time that the Government of North Korea reverse this dangerous course, abandon its nuclear and ballistic missile programs, and focus its scarce resources on the living conditions of its people.
“Canada will continue to work with our international partners to pursue all appropriate actions against the rogue regime in North Korea.”
For more information on the extent of the sanctions and the available exemptions Canada has already imposed against North Korea, please see North Korea: Overview of New Sanctions and a May 2010 statement by Prime Minister Stephen Harper.
- Canada Unequivocally Condemns North Korean Nuclear Test (CanKor.ca)
- Canadian FM Baird Strongly Condemns Actions of North Korean Regime (CanKor.ca)
- Canadian Foreign Minister urges North Korea to abandon nuclear weapons program (CanKor.ca)
- Canada Warns North Korea Against Provocation (CanKor.ca)
- Canada “Unreservedly” Condemns Failed DPRK Rocket Launch (CanKor.ca)
- North Korea ‘delights’ in provoking: Harper (CanKor.ca)
- Canada boycotts UN body over North Korea (CanKor.ca)