[The following is the Statement on the demise of DPRK leader Kim Jong Il by US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton, issued 19 December 2011 – CanKor]
With the passing of National Defense Commission Chairman Kim Jong Il, the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea is now in a period of national mourning. We are deeply concerned with the well being of the North Korean people and our thoughts and prayers are with them during these difficult times. It is our hope that the new leadership of the DPRK will choose to guide their nation onto the path of peace by honoring North Korea’s commitments, improving relations with its neighbors, and respecting the rights of its people. The United States stands ready to help the North Korean people and urges the new leadership to work with the international community to usher in a new era of peace, prosperity and lasting security on the Korean Peninsula.
- Canadian PM Statement on the death of Kim Jong Il
- RoK Statement on the death of Kim Jong Il
- Australian Statement on the death of Kim Jong Il
- UK Statement on the death of Kim Jong Il
- Reaction of other countries to the death of Kim Jong Il
- 38 North: The Party as the Kingmaker: The Death of Kim Jong Il and its Consequences for North Korea by Rudiger Frank