[The following Statement was issued by the UK Foreign Secretary William Hague on the death of the North Korean leader Kim Jong Il, on 19 December 2011. –CanKor]
This could be a turning point for North Korea. We hope that their new leadership will recognise that engagement with the international community offers the best prospect of improving the lives of ordinary North Korean people.
We encourage North Korea to work for peace and security in the region and take the steps necessary to allow the resumption of the Six Party Talks on denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula”.
- Canadian PM Statement on the death of Kim Jong Il
- US Statement on the death of Kim Jong Il
- RoK Statement on the death of Kim Jong Il
- Australian Statement on the death of Kim Jong Il
- Reaction of other countries to the death of Kim Jong Il
- 38 North: The Party as the Kingmaker: The Death of Kim Jong Il and its Consequences for North Korea by Rudiger Frank